Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Floral Edge Bowls

It struck me today that I had not made any large bowls recently. And, low and behold, I checked my inventory to discover that I was completely out of large and medium bowls! So I hit the wheel and decided that smooth rims were no good today. So I start to play with crimping and folding the rim of the bowl instead. 



This is a basic two finger crimp on a wide mouth bowl.

This came out much more flowery or petal-like. Some spots were crimped out and others were crimped in. 

Side view of a two point crimp.

Top view of a two point crimp. 

Top view of the flower crimping technique. 

It was quite fun! I love how a simple crimp patter can create a much more dynamic piece that a smooth rim. However, I still like both. It is completely dependent on my mood each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment