Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Getting Outside my Box - Mugs

At times, I really struggle to get outside of my box when it comes to ideas in studio. So I promised myself that I would throw 10 cups, each one different in design. I tried different handles, asymmetric pieces, and textures. I have to admit that it was rather fun! I definitely need some more practice but I feel that I am on the right track now.


These all started as .5 pounds of clay and I tried to steer away from my usual shapes.


One mug I decided to carve a little, to add texture to it. The other I textured while throwing, simply by adding heavy throw lines. I rather like both.


This one I collapsed and folded on one side. That gave me a different way to add in a handle, which I also altered with my fingers a little bit. 

It was good fun! I hope to expand in my techniques and skills by continuously trying new things. I keep looking for new inspiration every day, in people and objects, as well as other people's work. I am constantly inspired by other potters! 

No comments:

Post a Comment